Apollo Theatre (1910-1996)

Built in 1910 as the Bryant, 42nd Street's first motion picture and vaudeville house. In 1920, the Selwyn brothers rebuilt it (Eugene De Rosa, architect) as a legit house, the Apollo. From November 1934 to 1937, burlesque was produced, until the Brandt chain took over. By 1938, it was a popular art and foreign movie house. 1979 to 1983 marked a brief return to legit theatre. Later, it held rock concerts. Architectural elements from the building were incorporated into the Ford Center in 1998. The theater was located at 223 W. 42nd St., New York, NY and the capacity was 1,200.

Productions in bold are in our archive.

New Apollo Theatre (1979-1983)

Date Play
Jun 19, 1983 The Guys in the Truck
Nov 5, 1980 Fifth of July
Dec 2, 1979 Bent
Feb 28, 1979 On Golden Pond

Apollo Theatre (1920-1933)

Date Play
Dec 2, 1933 Blackbirds of 1933
Nov 26, 1932 Take a Chance
Sep 14, 1931 George White's "Scandals"
Mar 12, 1931 The House Beautiful
Mar 3, 1930 Flying High
Sep 23, 1929 George White's "Scandals"
Feb 20, 1929 Harlem
Jul 2, 1928 George White's "Scandals"
Sep 26, 1927 Manhattan Mary
Jun 14, 1926 George White's "Scandals": 8th Annual
Jun 22, 1925 George White's "Scandals"
Apr 13, 1925 The Fourflusher
Jan 13, 1925 The Valley of Content
Dec 15, 1924 The Sap
Jun 30, 1924 George White's "Scandals"
Sep 3, 1923 Poppy
Jun 25, 1923 Go-Go
Apr 16, 1923 How Come?
Dec 20, 1922 Johannes Kreisler
Aug 22, 1922 Daffy Dill
Apr 17, 1922 Lady Bug
Nov 14, 1921 Nature's Nobleman
Oct 17, 1921 Love Dreams
Mar 15, 1921 Love Birds
Feb 17, 1921 Macbeth
Nov 17, 1920 Jimmie
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License